Saturday, April 14, 2012

Coasters!!

I have seen coasters everywhere and I got really excited cuz I have a tile-guru for a hubby. So I just asked him if he ever had any scraps if he would cut them down to 4x4s and bring them too me. I'm thinking I'll make a set for myself and if there's enough, maybe a set as a gift. This is what he came home with... See picture #1. That's after I've already made two sets. Live his over-achiever personality. He completes me... Or would compensate be a better word? Hmmm, just gonna let that one go. Anyway I went ahead and picked out my scrapbook paper and stickers and grabbed my homemade modge podge (Elmer's glue mixed with water til same consistency as modge podge) and got to work. I modge podged the top of the tile and put the cut pieces of scrapbook paper on it. I left a little overhang - once it dries you can trim the edges. When that dried I kept adding layers - over the next several days. Every time I went in the craft room I added another coat. My homemade modge podge is not glossy and I liked it fine, but you could use the glossy kind or find the recipe for it of you want it. Because my tile wasn't 4x4 to start with, the edges are kinda sharp from being cut down. So I coated the top and the sides every time. I got tired of peeling newspaper off the bottom where it would drop and stick so I figured out that if I put a rubber stamp or two underneath each tile it wouldn't stick. Yay! After a couple weeks and 374 coats of modge podge, I flipped them over and glued felt onto the bottom so they don't scratch furniture. (pic#3) Not that we have furniture that would care if it it scratched... And for that matter we hardly ever use coasters either but we have a really cute set!! And if you feel like making some... Bring your scrapbook paper to my house cuz I have lots of extra tile. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment