Saturday, April 28, 2012

Learning a lesson the hard way

Have you ever pointed a finger just to discover its pointing about 180* the wrong direction? Yeah, me too. Today, actually. And the worst part is I didn't realize it until it was too late. Way too late. Have you ever felt like you just want to crawl in a hole and stay there for a couple... Oh, weeks, months, or years? Yep, me too. Today, actually. About 1.2 seconds after said discovery.
God is showing me little by little that I am do not have a very teachable spirit. And today he kinda just smacked me upside the head with the awareness of how seriously I need to set aside my belief that my way is best whether it's something silly (like butt paste - don't ask) or something much deeper. I have not arrived, I have soooooo much to learn and I am not above learning from anyone. I don't really believe any of that when I stop to think about it, but I live that way when people offer suggestions or ask me if I want to listen to this amazing sermon they heard. I need to accept these offers as encouragement and so often I just think "what's wrong with me the way I am?" (or "what's wrong with the _________ I have?" - diaper cream, version of the Bible, fill in the blank.) That is my human nature, and I want to be a new creature - one that looks like Christ. How thankful I am that He didn't say "what's wrong with My form?" but instead was willing to humble himself, restrict himself to a body for the rest of eternity and come to earth to suffer and die for me. He didn't consider His way best but submitted to His Fathers will. If God can humble Himself, I most certainly can and should. Isn't that the goal - to know and be like Christ? If not, I'm reading my Bible wrong. :)

I am NOT trying to preach or point at any of you. Neither am I looking for sympathetic responses - "oh you're not prideful," or "don't be too hard on yourself" or any other kind of consolation. I know that I am complete in Him and that He who began a good work in me will be faithful to complete it (can't WAIT!) and I know learning to be more teachable is what He is asking of me right now. And I hope that when I share my heart that it doesn't come across that I'm judging you or looking for sympathy. I am simply sharing the joy of what God is teaching me and hoping that it will encourage you!

No comments:

Post a Comment