Tuesday, April 17, 2012

My choices = my issues

Ever have those days that you feel like a terrible mom? My kids have been fed and changed and thats about it. I got a slow start and even the slow part didn't kick in til 8:30 or so. Before that nothing was moving at all... Especially me. I'm unusually tired today and I'm not a morning person by nature - I didn't even get a shower til noon. Combined with not wearing my contacts cuz one is bugging me lately, messy house, a temper tantrum and a shortened nap (thanks to the tantrum), and an embarrassing amount of time wasted on my phone, I think I could win the "worst mom" award for the day. But this blog is about processing my feelings and dealing with them and hopefully it will help someone else out too - and of you've ever felt like I do right now, at least you know you're not alone.
I think the biggest thing that bothers me is the wasted time. I played angry birds, facebooked, and pinterested most of the day away. I hate looking back on wasted time. But somehow it's harder to see it happening until its too late.
Another thing I dislike is knowing that because I'm not spending quality time with my kids they have a stronger tendency to ignore and not value me in return - hence the tantrums. I know my child is responsible to obey but it is my responsibility to encourage and nurture that obedient heart. Ugh. Like I said, I'm processing my own issues - not pointing fingers except at myself.
On to issue number three - my kids will learn from my actions more than my words. Ouch. I'm basically giving myself a verbal spanking right now. I think its working tho. When I let a whole day go to waste, I can start fresh tomorrow and praise the Lord His mercies are new every morning, but my daughter is watching me mope around because of decisions I've made and she's learning. That scares me. I want her to learn character qualities like diligence, service for others, integrity, faithfulness and hospitality. Not laziness, self-centeredness, grumpiness, or indifference.

Lord, forgive me for the way I've wasted my time thus far today. It was wrong and i am ashamed. Help me to redeem the rest of today and use it to glorify You. Help me to overcome the small things that easily turn into excuses, and to take my responsibilities from You seriously. Help me to prioritize the things that matter to You. I know my children are a gift from you - help me to be a good steward of every gift. Thank you for fresh mercy every moment as soon as I ask for it. Give me wisdom to know your will and strength to do it. Amen.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Angela :) I didn't know you had a blog! What an honest refreshing outpouring. Thank you for sharing that so openly. Be encouraged that you are not the only mom out there wasting the day away on electronics while in pajamas, unshowered. It happens to the best of us. It happens to me more than I'd care to admit. I have many days that my kids must look at me like I'm a freak of nature and are totally taking it all in, learning and turning a bright and vivid mirror back on me when they model my bad example. That's why we have Jesus, because we can't always, but He totally can!! You are so right, God's mercies are new each day and we are given the opportunity to brush off the previous day and try anew. You are a great mom, you know your purpose and know what you desire your children to be. Keep your head up and tomorrow will be a better day!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you, girl!! We all have our days when we see how we could have served God better. I am proud of you for learning and growing and sharing!! You are a great mom and have such a beautiful heart. Praise God for His redemption, not only of our souls but of our everyday lives as well. Praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your honesty! I've felt the same way ALL week!!!

    ReplyDelete