Monday, February 20, 2012

Hurting

Tonight my heart is heavy. I just read of a missionary couple who lost their three year old daughter in a car accident this morning. I have a friend who is dying of brain cancer. She and her husband are some of the godliest people I knew in college and are an incredible testimony for the Lord. They have two young boys that are close to my daughters in age. Sometimes it's hard to handle all the hurt and sorrow and these are not even directly related to me. Yesterday our assistant pastor preached on Ps 73 and so much of the chapter ties in with Ps 34. Both talk about struggling to understand what seems backwards - the wicked seem to prosper and have no trouble or difficulty. Sometimes it appears that way to us. Chapter 73 verse 16 says "But when I thought how to understand this, it seemed to me a wearisome task, until I went into the sanctuary of God; then I discerned their end." When we go to God with our sorrows, He helps us to see from his perspective. It doesn't take away the hurt but it does give purpose to the things that seem to not make sense. The wicked do have consequences, they are just delayed, and when tragic things happen to people who love God, it is not punishment or something God just couldn't handle. He knows what is best and we must cling to that. Here are some amazing verses that we can hold on to when we feel like we can't handle the burdens. Ps 73
v23 "Nevertheless, I am continually with you; you hold my right hand."
v24 "You guide me with your counsel, and afterward you will receive me to glory."
v25 "Whom have I in heaven but you? And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides you."
v26 "My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."
v27 "For behold, those who are far from you shall perish; you put an end to everyone who is unfaithful to you."
v28 "But for me it is good to be near God; I have made the Lord God my refuge, that I may tell of all your works."
God, comfort those who have lost loved ones and those who are counting precious minutes. Help us to remember that You are a just God and that we can trust You when things seem unfair. Help us to run to You first, when we don't understand, when we hurt, when we need comfort and counsel. Help us to choose to be near You and make You our refuge and tell of Your works. Thank You for being loving and trustworthy; thank You for being sovereign and just. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment